I tend to live my life in extremes. I am either doing everything or nothing. For example, I either keep up with emails, blogs, and commitments. Or I let everything build up to a crazy degree and sit staring at everything piling up and I'm unable to do a thing.
I get up at 7:00 am, exercise, hydrate, and eat healthy, or I spiral into a state of immobility, eating junk, and watching obscure youtube videos.
I have a balance problem. I work with constant chaos and sometimes it consumes me. Another aspect of this is I tend to overreach myself. I take on way too many things at once. I pile things up until I'm crushed by it and then nothing gets done, and the depression sweeps in.
This is my typical life cycle, and it's getting tedious. That's understating it a bit, it's killing me actually.
This year, I decided I would start to work on fixing this problem. Or at the very least try to figure out why I did this to myself.
I'm an Empath, I feel deeply for other people. I take on their problems, pain, and even their emotions. This is a good thing, because I understand people on a deep level. It's a bad thing, because I forget I have my own emotions and problems. I put myself last, which I don't think is a bad thing. I like helping people.
I just need to remember to take care of myself too
There is a huge difference between self care and self love. I think this generation is too self centered, so I'm not into the whole 'love yourself ' thing. It's not what the Bible teaches either.
I'm simply talking about breaking unhealthy habits, and taking a breather every now and then. I also need to teach myself that there is nothing selfish about treating yourself with the same care you give to others. Especially when you hit your breaking point.
You're human, it's normal to fall apart and breakdown. Ideally it's better if you don't let yourself to get to that point. So here are some of the things I do to take care of myself.
1. Nothing (okay this probably seems dumb, but by nothing I mean not letting myself do any of the million things I feel like I have to do. Sometimes you have to let yourself relax, completely. Doing this can do wonders for your mental state.)
2. Keep up with your physical health. ( I don't just mean like exercise and diet,but both of those are good too! I was lethargic all the time, turns out I was anemic and need to take iron pills. Something as simple as that can go a long way to improving your life.)
3. Do something for yourself! (Read that book you've been putting off, watch a movie you love, just do something that brings you joy)
4. Finish something (It works better if it's something that you have been putting off for a long time.)
5. Take social media breaks (It's nice to spend more time in the real world.)
6. Pamper yourself a little ( have a nice bath with bubble bars or bath bombs, face mask are super soothing.)
7. If you have a problem try to solve it instead of putting it off.
8. Go get coffee or a tea from your favorite place. (I find this always puts me in a good mood.)
9. Say no, don't commit to too many things. ( This is incredibly freeing)
10. Give yourself time (Just be easy on yourself, your not a machine)
I hope this was a little bit helpful to someone, I'm still learning myself. Self care for me right now is binge watching Anime, so like I said probably not the right person for this.